( The popular place to visit Located at a distance of 2 km from Kodaikanal Lake, the falls are 3 kilometers away from the bus stand, Located in the Reserve forest.)
The Bear Shola Falls derived its name from the fact that bears used to come to this fall for drinking water. The best time to visit the falls is during the rainy season when the water level is at its fullest and thus most beautiful. During the non-monsoon season, there is not much water in the falls. If interested, one can also go trekking here. It has a beautiful climbing path which is almost 1 km long inside the forest.
Along with Bear Shola Falls, there are many other waterfalls as well in Kodaikanal such as Thalaiyar falls, Pambar Falls which is also called as “Grand cascade” and Silver cascade. Kodaikanal has various kinds of other tourist spots as well. Some of these are Berijam Lake, Coaker’s Walk, Kurinjiandavar Temple, Kodaikanal Lake, Green Valley View, Silent Valley View, Devil’s Kitchen, Guna Caves, Pine Forest, Shanthi Valley, Silver Cascade, Telescope House, Kukal Cave, and Shenbaganur Museum, etc.
Things to do in Bear Shola Falls: Horticultural Research Station, visit to Kodaikanal Lake, visit Guna Caves.
Ideal for: Family, adventure, solo trip
Ideal trip duration: 1 to 2 hours
Best time to visit: September to May
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most. Make sure that you have the prior permission for the Jungle Safari from the local forest officer.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Vaidhei apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Catherine Falls.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes with picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.