( Also know as Science Center, 4.3 KMs from Coimbatore Junction)
“You need to turn the lever back and forth to see the volcanc eruption effect,“ said A. Adithya, a physics graduate from Kerala, now a science communicator at the interactive science centre — ‘Experimenta’ — by G.D. Naidu Charities.
The centre is expected to be opened on February 28, in the presence of Finance Minister Palanivel Thiaga Rajan, District Collector Kranthi Kumar Pati and Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Chairman K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
“The main objective of the centre is to stimulate curiosity, develop an inquiring mind and enable children and adults to learn science in a hands-on manner,” said trustee Akila Shanmugam.
“The centre, inspired by the design of a museum in Germany, is set up in over 40,000 sq. ft. with over 120 interactive science exhibits. It is estimated to easily take around three hours to play or interact with all exhibits. Those who are constrained by time can visit the centre again to catch up on the missed-out exhibits,” she said.
Apart from employing science communicators, explanation boards have been installed near the models so that visitors can understand what they are witnessing and working on, she added.
The exhibits in the science centre are very carefully chosen from across the world and have been arranged under various categories such as motion, sound, illusion, optics, maths, nature, mechanics, power and energy, light and colours.
Trust’s general manager M. Suresh Naidu said, “The Experimenta Science Centre will be open from 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. on all days, except Mondays and national holidays. A ticket costs ₹250 for adults and ₹150 for children below 17 years. Discount will be offered to private schools. We are also planning to offer outreach programmes for government schools by offering free transport to the centre and charging ₹500 for roughly 30-40 children. We have individual and combo tickets with special discounted rates for groups also.”
“Further, all our centres and the museums are wheelchair accessible. We will consider adding audio and Braille options as we develop Experimenta, for an inclusive environment,” he said.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 41 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 4.3 km away is the Coimbatore Junction Railway Station.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle-free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Catherine Falls apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Catherine Falls.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes with picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.