( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
Sri G D Naidu, an eminent industrialist and philanthropist of Coimbatore, South India, had a great passion for the automobile. He visited several countries during his life time and was fascinated by the workmanship and engineering capabilities of Germany. He was specifically in admiration of the workmanship in Rolls Royce 20 car, after visiting the factory in United Kingdom. He felt that the students in his automobile institute must look at the engine, the differential gear box etc, where they did not use gaskets as in other cars, but blue matched them by hand scrapping. This at that time led to the achievement of heights precision and workmanship. He took classes and often had to bend down under the chassis to show the students about how many bolts were used with a specific torque to eliminate gasket.
In late 1960, he stripped the original body of the beautiful Rolls Royce and his explanation was that due to old age he found it difficult to bend down each time to explain to the students. Now the whole mechanism can be clearly seen from the top. His passion didn’t end with this. He started collecting unique cars which had a history of its own and was in some way an engineering marvel, Sri Naidu’s son GD Gopal continued his father’s hobby by not just adding to the collection, but maintaining most of the cars in motorable condition and initiated the setup of Car Museum and put it all together as a museum for the general public on 27thApril 2015.
The main objective of the museum is that the students and general public, who see these cars, should also learn about technology behind it and the person responsible for such innovations, either in design or engineering or in workmanship etc. and this museum tries to give as much information as in necessary, to highlight the men behind the marvels. It is the desire of Sri G D Naidu that students should get inspired by these examples and he started thinking that if in the late 18th century people could create such wonders even without much facility and technology advancement why can’t they think of such revolutionary ideas?
GD Naidu Museum is dedicated to these innovative personalities who besides their lack of education or wealth were able to contribute to the growth of the automobile industry.
1. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
2. Also, carrying a good amount of water and other necessary supplies with you is advisable.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.