( The popular place to visit located at Kodiveri Dam is located on the Bhavani river near Sathyamangalam in Tamil Nadu. The dam is situated along the State Highway 15 about 15 km (9.3 mi) from Gobichettipalayam towards Sathyamangalam)
Kodiveri Dam is located on the Bhavani river near Sathyamangalam in Tamil Nadu. The dam is situated along the State Highway 15 about 15 km (9.3 mi) from Gobichettipalayam towards Sathyamangalam. From Sathyamangalam via Aalatthukombai the dam is at a distance of 7 km (4.3 mi).
It was constructed by Kongalvan (vettuvar King) in the year 1125 AD. Creating the dam consisted of carving a 20-foot wall of rock. The stones were then interlocked with iron bars and lead was used as mortar. These features, however, are not visible except in the dry season when the water level in the river drops considerably.
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.