( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
Masani Amman is an avatar (manifestation) of Shakti Devi. She also known as Masani Devi among north Indians. Her temple is located in Anaimalai, Pollachi, Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu state, India.
Arulmigu Masani Amman Temple, also referred as Anaimalai Masani Amman Temple, is a highly revered shrine situated at Anaimalai, which is located about 24 km far south-westerly toPollachi. It is situated at the confluence of Aliyar River and the Uppar stream, nestled amid grasslands against the backdrop of mighty Anaimalai Hills. The Temple enshrines Goddess Arulmigu Masani Amman as the presiding deity. The deity is seen in a lying posture measuring 15 feet from head to foot, which is unique. Other deities worshiped in the complex include Neethi Kal (stone of justice) and Mahamuniappan. It is a popular belief here that Masani Amman will cure any illness if you go around her trident.
During ancient times, Anaimalai was known as Nannur and the region was ruled by Nannuran. He had proclaimed severe punishments on those who plucked fruits from the dense mango grove that belonged to him. One day, a lady happened to consume a fruit not knowing of the strict measures. Nannuran sentences her to death despite the plea of the general public. Later, Nannuran was killed by the villagers in a battle near Vijayamangalam, and a shrine was erected to worship the lady who sacrificed her life. Since the lady was killed, the deity was called as Masani Ma means mango in Tamil. Later, the deity came to be known as Masaniamman.
1. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
2. Also, carrying a good amount of water and other necessary supplies with you is advisable.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.