( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
This Sanctum ? sanctourm of this Temple was built by Karikala Chola in the early Christian Era. In the ninth century, Saint Sunfarar vistied the temple and immortalised it in his Thevaram. In the Kongu Chola Period (11th to 13th centuries Ardha Mandapa and Mahamandapa were built and used for inscribing the details about the numerous gifts made to the temple. From 14th to 17th centuries, the Hoysala, Vijayanagar and Nayaka kings gave endowments.
The famous Kanaka Sabhai was built by Alagadri Nayak of Madurai in the 17th century. Tippu Sultan of Mysore attached half of the Inams of the temple in the 18th century. Later on, the East India Company restored it to the temple. The Swami and Amman Temples were renovated in the middle of the 18th century and later on the Mantap of 63 Saints was built. In the 20th century, the Kalyana Mantapam and the front Mantapam were built and the tower was repaired. Historically, the surroundings of Perur date back to the Roman period as a ? Treasure Trove? of Roman coins was discovered here.
This is an ancient Temple of pre-historic age. As per legend the calf of Kamadhenu discovered a sacred Sivalinga. A temple came to be built over it. The place became a “Vaippu Sthalam” to Lord Siva since it was sanctified by Saints Appar an Sundarar in their Thevarams. In this Temple the Kanaka Sabhai or the Golden Hall of Dance, has a beautiful form of Nataraja in the dancing posture which he manifested to the Rishis, Gomuni and Pattimuni.
1. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
2. Also, carrying a good amount of water and other necessary supplies with you is advisable.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.