( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
Rangaswamy Pillar and Peak is a structure which is situated at a height of 1794 metres above sea level. It is located around 20 km from Kotagiri and is one of the tourist attractions that the hill station is known for. Rangaswamy Peak is a place of much importance for those living in the Nilgiris. It is the local deity for the people of the district and the shrine on the peak is an important place of pilgrimage for them. According to a legend, Lord Rangaswamy, who once lived in the place called Karamadai in Coimbatore, had quarreled with his wife and migrated to the peak, to live alone. A set of footprints on a rock at the base of the peak are said to be proof to the legend. The pillar is on the north-west side of the peak and is 400 feet high. It is nearly impossible to scale this structure.
Get carried away with the lush lures of a majestic valley, the gushing water of Bhawani Sagar near a pretty hamlet, it makes everything so surreal, but it is real! Rangaswamy Peak and the isolated extraordinary rocky pillar called Rangaswamy Pillar rising to a height of almost 400 feet can be viewed from here. The conical peak showcases an exhilarating view of the remote yet harmonious city around.
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most. Make sure that you have the prior permission for the Jungle Safari from the local forest officer.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.