( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
Seetharkundu Viewpoint is situated at a distance of 8 km from Nelliyampathy town in Palakkad District of Kerala State in Southern India. It is said that Lord Rama, and his wife Goddess Sitha and brother Lord Lakshmana rested in this place during their period of exile, as stated in the epic Ramayana.
The viewpoint is synonyms with tantalising views that will leave the visitors completely spellbind. The view of the Seetharkundu Waterfall which graciously falls from a height of 30 meters, the paddy fields hundreds of meters below, the massive mountains cliffs going on for many kilometres – the view is mesmerising in every direction you look at.
Upon reaching Nelliyampathy, Seetharkundu Viewpoint is in another 4 km. The viewpoint is located inside Poab’s Estate which is spread across hundreds of acres in Nelliyampathy. Vehicles can be reached until Poab’s Estate after which a hike of one kilometre will get you to the viewpoint. The hike is pretty adventurous as steep slopes without any fences is in one side of the trail. There are many coffee and spice plantations in the area, giving the air a delicious aroma.
The view after the ten minute hike is breathtaking and it takes some courage to get close to the edge after which it is a steep drop. There are no fences or any security measures in the area, the strong blow of the wind also is something to watch out for. The viewpoint is very dangerous and it is fascinating that there are no guards in the vicinity considering how popular and crowded the spot can get. You can walk along the ridge of the mountain for a while which stretches for many kilometres and even can access a small stream below.
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most. Make sure that you have the prior permission for the Jungle Safari from the local forest officer.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.