( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
Described as one of the heritage sites with immense architectural splendour in the Nilgiris, the Tiger Hill cemetery in Coonoor, the burial site for some of the most famous members involved in the foundation of the modern Nilgiris, lies in complete ruin. The ravages of time and vandals play an equal part in the cemetery’s near complete destruction.
Constructed in 1905 with distinct Gothic-renaissance architecture, the cemetery was designed with some beautiful flourishes that set it apart from other European cemeteries built at the time, including the first European cemetery in Kotagiri, and the ones at the St. Stephens Church and St. Thomas Church in Udhagamandalam, which all pre-date the one in Coonoor.
Buried at the cemetery is Frederic Nicholson, father of the Indian cooperative movement, A.T.W. Penn, one of the first people to document the Nilgiris and Southern India through photography. Also laid to rest here were planters such as the members of the Stanes family, said Venugopal Dharmalingam, honorary director of the Nilgiri Documentation Center.
Local residents said the cemetery had been in a reasonably better condition till around ten years ago, after it fell into complete neglect. A. Saritha, a local resident working in the tea estates surrounding Tiger Hill, said vandalising of the tombs was common, as the cemetery had become a popular spot for tipplers.
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most. Make sure that you have the prior permission for the Jungle Safari from the local forest officer.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.