( The popular place to visit the Anaimalai Hills of the Western Ghats. It is about 65 kilometers (40 mi) from Coimbatore.)
The Velliangiri Mountains, (Tamil: வெள்ளியங்கிரி மலை) a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, are situated at the Western Ghats border of Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu bordering Palakkad District, Kerala. Known as the “Sapthagiri, 7 Hills (Tamil: சப்தகிரி, ஏழுமலை) – Seven Mountains”, these mountains are held and revered on par with spiritually most powerful place on the planet – Mount Kailash, the legendary abode of Lord Shiva. On the top of the Velliangiri Mountains, Shiva is worshipped as Swayambhu, one who is self-created and in this form, he graces the devotees.
As per the Kachiappar Perur Purana, Lord Shiva in the hill of Kailayam (Mount Kailash), was worshipped by Lord Vishnu-Komuni. The gracious Lord Shiva appeared before him and asked, “What is your wish?” “My eyes have not seen your dance of grace (Aananda Thaandava). So I wish to see that, said Vishnu. Lord Shiva said: “The two sages Patanjali and Vyaghrapada have performed some of their virtues, and I showed them my dance in Vellinangiri.(Om Nama Shivaya)
In the same way, Lord Vishnu obeyed the command of the Lord Shiva, wearing the Rudraksham, Lord Vishnu went to the southwest of Velliangiri hills and worshipped Lord Shiva.
1. Carry enough food and water bottles with you. There are no eateries available around the location.
2. Do not throw anything here and there. It is your responsibility to keep the place clean and green
3. Wear comfortable shoes to enjoy your trek the most. Make sure that you have the prior permission for the Jungle Safari from the local forest officer.
If you are travelling by air, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport which is nearly 50 km away from the destination. Coimbatore Airport is well-served by both domestic and international tourists. From the airport, opt for a private or a shared taxi to get to this popular attraction.
Approximately 33 km away is the Mettupalayam Railway Station and around 29 km away is the Ooty Railway Station. You can enjoy a train service at any of the stations. These 2 stations connect Ooty with the metro cities of India such as Kochi, Jaipur, Puri, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Kanyakumari and more. After arriving in Ooty, experience the further journey through Nilgiri Toy Train to have the best time of your life.
Choose to travel by road if you want to feel the magic of Ooty on your way. There are several private and government-owned buses that operate daily for the convenience of tourists. You can also hire a private vehicle from one of the leading car rental companies in Ooty for hassle free commutation within the hill station. However, the entry of the vehicles up to the falls is not allowed, so one must need to trek to reach Catherine Falls.
There are several options to explore nearby Aliyar apart from witnessing the views it beholds. You can take assistance from our team to plan your itinerary as per your holiday duration. The top 5 places to visit in Coonoor are:
1. Dolphin’s Nose: Visit Dolphin’s Nose viewpoint to admire the lush greenery, majestic waterfalls and awe-inspiring mountains from the top. Here you can also overlook the unobstructed view of the natural beauty along with the tea plantations.
2. Rallia Dam: Another equally fasciation attraction is Rallia Dam, where you can spot a wide variety of animals such as Bisons and Malabar Squirrels in the forest. It is a short drive away from Aliyar Dam.
3. Sim’s Park: Be sure to take a short stroll at Sim’s Park whenever you are on your Ooty tour. Nestled on the slope of the hill, the park offers 1000 plus species of colourful flowers and plants. It is just 6 km away from Dolphin’s Nose.
4. Government Botanical Park: Have a fun time with your family at Government Botanical Garden. Spreading over an area of 55 acres, the garden is mainly visited by people for educating their children about nature conservation.
5. Upper Bhavani Lake: Treat your eyes to picturesque views at Upper Bhavani Lake. An ideal spot for nature lovers, the Upper Bhavani Lake is just like heaven on earth. Unlike other attractions, it is a less-crowded place in Coonoor.